lookinglass

Putting rights issues through the looking glass. Not seeking answers, just some food for thought to see whether things could be any different!

Friday, November 17, 2006

Just a thought!

Today, when I went to the restroom at office to wash my face (uff..its so dusty here), I took a close look at my face after a really long time and I was shattered. I looked and more importantly, felt so old at that very moment!
I really am not that old (mentally or physically) but the dark circles under my eyes and the gloomy look on my face scared me... I use minimal cosmetics nor do I intend to in a very long time... I was not evern wearing kajal (antimony, as they call it in books) in my eyes....I REALLY FELT THAT I WAS AGING AND IT STRUCK ME LIKE LIGHTENING! (It was really like those movie moments!)

Then, like a good Indian, I analyzed and rationalized and concluded that may be, this feeling stems from my overt fear of old age! Of all the people in the world I feel bad about or sympathize (I know its an insulting word) with the most are the old! Nothing moves me more deeply than the sight of an old person and I think I have an old age phobia. (I just cannot deal with old people objectively!)

I realized that all this jamboree about age being just a number does not hold true in my case. The thought of growing old did throw me off a little bit and I cannot deny it!

At this point, I remembered that Ogden Nash poem , "Lady who Thinks She is Thirty" and that helped me deal with it a little better. And here's this excerpt for all those ladies who feel older beyond their years sometimes! This will surely help.

.......Silly girl, silver girl,
Draw the mirror toward you;
Time who makes the years to whirl
Adorned as he adored you.

Time is timelessness for you;
Calendars for the human;
What's a year, or thirty, to
Loveliness made woman?

Oh, Night will not see thirty again,
Yet soft her wing, Miranda;
Pick up your glass and tell me, then--
How old is Spring, Miranda?

How old is spring , Miranda? is the line I remembered and I thought that I have to live well through a hundred more springs, if not more and stop sulking about dark circles... I think a simple under eye gel or even, kajal will take care of it and I feel better and younger already!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home